Breaking News
 |  | 

General

Construction operations banned around Varamin historic castlec

Tehran, Any construction operation around the historic Ponink Castle has been banned in the absence of a permission from the Cultural Heritage, Handicrafts and Tourism Organization.

The Public Relations Office of the Research Institute of Cultural Heritage and Tourism (RICHT) quoted Laleh Rouhangiz, head of the archaeological team as saying on Tuesday that exploration has been launched in the historic Ponink Castle.

She said the historic Ponink Castle is among the middle ages castles in Varamin plain which had been active until the Seljuk and early Ilkhan times.

Pointing out that the castle has four towers, a central corridor and side chambers, the archaeologist reiterated that in the castle there are two identical roofed towers which are visible.

Rouhangiz referred to the discovery of a large number of ovens between the chambers of the castle and said the materials used in the castle are adobe, mud and stratum, adding that exploration in the first phase of the architecture has been completed and will continue in the second phase.

She also referred to the registration of the castle in the list of national monuments in 1386 (2007) under Number 15773 and said the historic castle is located on the southern belt path of Qarchak.

She reiterated that the Qarchak Municipality has undertaken all the exploration costs in order to turn the castle into a touristic site.

In conclusion, the archaeologist stated that any construction operation around the castle is banned in the absence of a permission by the Cultural Heritage Organization.

Source: Islamic Republic News Agency - IRNA


The iran News Gazette is mainly concerned with news and information about the Arab region and also covers international issues. Its main objective is to provide reliable and verified information on the Arab region for publishing on the digital landscape.