Failed UNSC resolution attempt to hide US, UK complicity in Yemen war: Zarif
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the US and UK's recent failed anti-Tehran resolution is nothing but an attempt to cover up their roll in Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen.
Zarif also reiterated Tehran's calls for ceasefire, aid, and an inclusive government in the country, while stressing that dialogue was the only solution to the crisis in Yemen.
"Desperate attempt @ UNSC by US&UK to cover up complicity in 3 yrs of Saudi & Emirati war crimes in Yemen failed. Since the very start, Iran called for ceasefire, aid, dialogue & inclusive government. This�not a delusion of military victory or accusations�remains the only solution" Zarif tweeted late on Tuesday.
The Iranian foreign minister made the comment a day after Russia vetoed a resolution at the Security Council, presented by Britain and strongly backed by the United States, which called for "additional measures" against Iran over accusations that it violated the 2015 arms embargo on the war-torn Arabian Peninsula state.
Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi has said that the United States and Britain are responsible for Saudi Arabia's continued warmongering and military aggression against Yemen.
Earlier in the day, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Abbas Araqchi said that Russia's vote against the UN draft resolution represented another setback for the US.
The draft resolution gained 11 favorable votes at the 15-member Security Council but was blocked by Russia's veto. China and Kazakhstan abstained, while Bolivia also voted against the measure.
A group of so-called independent United Nations experts monitoring the sanctions on Yemen reported to the Security Council in January that it had identified missile remnants, related military equipment and military unmanned aerial vehicles that are of Iranian origin and were brought into Yemen after the imposition of the targeted arms embargo.
The Security Council instead adopted unanimously a Russian-written resolution that called for a one-year extension of sanctions against Yemen and a renewal of the work of the panel of experts.
Source: Press TV