|  | 

Foreign Affairs

Iran’s top security official says US must stop foolish bluffs, concede defeat

Iran’s top security official has hit back at the US secretary of state for his claims about Washington’ successful tough approach towards Tehran, saying the American officials must concede defeat in the face of “powerful Iran” and end their stupid and empty boasts.

Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani made the remarks in a post on his official Twitter account on Saturday in response to the recent comments made by US State Secretary Mike Pompeo.

“It has been more than 40 years since you (the Americans) have employed your utmost power to defeat Iran, but you are still unsuccessful,” Shamkhani said.

“Conceding defeat in the face of powerful Iran is better than making stupid and baseless boasts,” he added.

In a speech at Ron Pearson Center, West Des Moines, in Iowa State on Friday, Pompeo said, “Look, we’ve also fundamentally changed the way America treats the Islamic Republic of Iran.”

He claimed that countries like Iran “only respond to strength, not to appeasement,” adding, “So we flipped what the previous administration was doing. We ditched the [Iran nuclear] deal and implemented a brand new Iran policy.”

The international nuclear deal — officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) — had been reached between Iran and the P5+1 group — the US, Britain, France, Russia and China plus Germany — in 2015. However, in May 2018, US President Donald Trump unilaterally pulled his country out of the JCPOA and later re-imposed the sanctions that had been lifted against Tehran and began unleashing the “toughest ever” fresh sanctions.

Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said earlier this week that the country has managed to overcome the US sanctions and emerged victorious in Washington’s economic war by cutting reliance on oil revenues.


“The Americans were expecting that the country’s economy would grind to a halt shortly after the sanctions came into force, but today we have succeeded in running the country with planning and reliance on a non-oil economy,” the president said on Tuesday.

“This is a display of power and a major victory for the Iranian nation in the [US] economic war,” he added.

Rouhani made the remarks while addressing a meeting of the government’s economic coordination headquarters on special plans and policies formulated by his administration to overcome the ongoing economic problems caused by the American bans.

 

 

Source: Press TV


The iran News Gazette is mainly concerned with news and information about the Arab region and also covers international issues. Its main objective is to provide reliable and verified information on the Arab region for publishing on the digital landscape.