|  | 

Legal Matters

No change in Iran’s territorial borders: Foreign Ministry

The Foreign Ministry has roundly rejected rumors about any change in Iran’s territorial borders under a conflict settlement process between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region.

“Our borders will neither be touched nor will we allow anyone to touch them,” ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh told a press briefing held via video conference on Monday.

Clarifying the matter, he said Armenia is only expected to start hosting “a simple transit route,” whose whereabouts is yet to be decided on. "Any talks about the corridor are certain to involve the Islamic Republic," the official asserted.

“The Islamic Republic is located in the artery that is crossed by many transit pathways. It is aware of its geopolitical position, and has been trying to help its friends benefit from this position,” Khatibzadeh noted.

The spokesman also hailed a Russia-mediated ceasefire agreement that was signed between Baku and Yerevan earlier in the month, saying it enjoys “serious overlaps” with Tehran’s proposal for resolution of the decades-long dispute over Nagorno-Karabakh.

The Islamic Republic has been advancing a settlement that favors the withdrawal of all occupying troops from the region, respect for the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan to which Karabakh belongs, and cessation of all hostilities.

Saudi Arabia’s Iran remarks

The spokesman also addressed remarks by Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz on Thursday, urging the world to take “a decisive stance” on Iran's nuclear and ballistic missile programs. The Saudi king also warned about what he called “dangers of Iran’s regional project,” and accused Tehran of “interference" in other countries, fostering “terrorism” and fanning the flames of sectarianism.

“It is not unusual for Saudi rulers to come up with such remarks,” Khatibzadeh said. He noted that the Islamic Republic is fully aware of Riyadh’s plots, urging the kingdom to abandon its smear campaigns.

The Saudi kingdom is throwing such accusations against the Islamic Republic, while it should know that its “killing of the people of Yemen would not lead to peace and the promotion of Wahhabism would not help it dominate the region,” Khatibzadeh noted.

He was referring to Saudi Arabia's war against Yemen that seeks to return the impoverished nation’s Riyadh-friendly rulers to power. The kingdom has also been funding controversial schools, known as madrassas, in Pakistan and Afghanistan and is accused of funding Takfiri terrorists throughout the region.

As long as the Saudi kingdom keeps on this path, it will not be able to work itself out of its isolation even in the Persian Gulf region, not to mention the rest of the world, the Iranian official said.

Iran’s message has always been clear, he said. “Iran keeps extending its hand of friendship to all Muslim countries based on the belief that it holds onto.”

US sanctions threat

The spokesperson separately commented on a recent threat by the United States to bring the Islamic Republic under new sanctions every week until the end of the outgoing American administration’s tenure.

Washington, he noted, was just trying to exert “psychological pressure” upon international markets. “They are apparently trying to revive the sanction and threat atmosphere” so they can realize their goals by adversely affecting the market, he noted.

The official strongly advised Iran's media outlets to call the enemy’s bluff and prevent it from achieving its hostile goals.

Source: Press TV


The iran News Gazette is mainly concerned with news and information about the Arab region and also covers international issues. Its main objective is to provide reliable and verified information on the Arab region for publishing on the digital landscape.