UN court hears Iran’s challenge against US sanctions
Tehran, Iran's legal challenge against renewed sanctions by the United States goes before the UN's top court Monday, as Tehran seeks to avert painful punitive measures that could hurt its economy, AFP reported on Friday.
Tehran filed a suit against US President Donald Trump's decision to re-impose economic sanctions at the Hague-based International Court of Justice last month.
After unilaterally pulling out of a historic nuclear deal in May, Trump began a first round of sanctions on the country early August.
And a second round is set to come into effect early November, this time blocking Iran's valuable oil and energy sales.
But Tehran argues that Washington has no right to reinstate such measures and is calling on the ICJ to order the US to 'immediately suspend' them.
It is also demanding compensation.
The ICJ is expected to take a couple of months to decide whether to grant Tehran's request for a provisional ruling, while a final decision in the case could actually take years.
International sanctions against Iran were lifted in 2015 when it struck a landmark nuclear accord with the US, Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia.
And even though all of the other parties pleaded with him not to abandon the pact, Trump pulled out and announced he would reinstate sanctions.
Tehran � which argues that the move violates a Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations signed by the two countries in 1955 � says that the new sanctions are already hurting its economy.
Washington 'is besieging Iran economically, with all the dramatic consequences that a siege implies for the besieged population,' Tehran said in court papers.
Iran 'requests that, pending final judgment in the case, the Court indicate... that the USA shall immediately take all measures at its disposal to ensure the suspension of the implementation of all the May 8 sanctions,' it said.
Source: Islamic Republic News Agency - IRNA