UN human right experts condemn Israeli attacks on Palestinians
Tehran, UN human rights experts have condemned the deadly suppression of unarmed Palestinians by security forces of the Zionist regime of Israel.
'Despite Israel's commitment to investigate the events of the past few weeks, Israeli security forces continue to use live ammunition and rubber bullets against the protesters, killing and wounding dozens of mostly unarmed protesters, women, men and children alike,' said the UN experts, according to the website of the High Commissioner of the UN Human Rights.
'We express our outrage over these shootings that may have resulted in unlawful killings and the incomprehensibly high number of injuries sustained,' the satatement read as it was published on Tuesday.
The website noted that at least 28 Palestinians have been killed and more than 1600 wounded by Israeli security forces during a series of demonstrations that began on 30 March and are set to continue until 15 May.
The participants are protesting their forced evictions and displacement since 1948 and calling for an end to the 11-year blockade on Gaza. Among those killed were three children and a journalist, who was wearing clearly visible insignia identifying him as a member of the press. Six other journalists have so far been wounded, the website said.
Referring to a recent statement issued by the Chief Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, Ms. Fatou Bensouda, the UN experts said that the deadly use of force against demonstrators could constitute crimes under the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.
They also called for an immediate end to the 11-year-old blockade on Gaza imposed by the Zionist regime of Israel
Source: Islamic Republic News Agency - IRNA