US threatens Syria again
Tehran, The United States will take firm and appropriate measures in response to Syrian government violations in the country's southwest, the US State Department said a statement, according to Western media.
We affirm again that the United States will take firm and appropriate measures in response to Syrian government violations in this area, said the statement issued on Thursday, according to Reuters.
An underpinning ceasefire arrangement and the de-escalation deal are intended to save lives and create conditions for the displaced to return home safely, so 'the ceasefire must continue to be enforced and respected, the statement added.
After seven years of war, the southwest of Syria, bordering Jordan and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, is one of the parts of the country still outside the state's control.
The statement comes after Syrian jets struck rebel-held towns in the country's south in March, rebels and residents said, the first aerial attacks on the area since the pact declaring it a de-escalation zone last year.
The US State Department statement said that, as a member of the UN Security Council, Russia is duly responsible to use its diplomatic and military influence over the Syrian government to stop attacks and compel the government to cease further military offensives.
Source: Islamic Republic News Agency - IRNA