Recent Posts

Trump Says Strikes On Iran To Continue As Battle Over Strait Of Hormuz Escalates

Washington: US President Donald Trump said air strikes on Iran will continue until he says "it's enough," as Tehran and Washington ramped up attacks in a struggle to control the Strait of Hormuz, which the United Nations described as a "huge setback" for civilians in the region.

According to Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty, Trump, in an interview with Fox News on July 14, mentioned that US negotiators engaged in talks with Tehran earlier in the day, urging Iranian officials to agree to a deal to end the ongoing conflict. When asked about the duration of US strikes, Trump responded, "They'll continue until I say it's enough." He also warned that the range of potential US military targets would expand if Tehran fails to negotiate, stating, "Next week it gets really bad for them because next week comes the power plants. Next week comes the bridges."

As explosions rocked several cities across southern Iran during a fourth consecutive day of air strikes, Iran retaliated by launching missiles at its Gulf neighbors, including Jordan, Bahrain, and Kuwait. Saudi Arabia's Foreign Ministry condemned these actions, holding Tehran responsible for the consequences of continued aggression.

The conflict has centered around the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial global transit route for energy and consumer products, following the collapse of a memorandum of understanding aimed at negotiating a peace deal. Trump previously threatened a 20 percent fee on cargo shipped through the Strait under US military protection but suggested replacing it with trade and investment agreements with Persian Gulf states while maintaining a blockade on Iranian shipping.

Trump announced on Truth Social that, based on discussions with Middle East leaders, he decided to replace the fee with trade and investment deals, which he described as "MASSIVE." However, he provided no specific commitments from Gulf governments. US Central Command (CENTCOM) reinstated a naval blockade against maritime traffic entering and exiting Iranian ports as of 4 p.m. Eastern Time on July 14, pledging to enforce the blockade against vessels violating it.

The strikes signal the unraveling of a recent accord intended to facilitate peace negotiations. Over the weekend, Trump notified Congress that the US was at war with Iran, initiating a 60-day period during which he could order military action without seeking formal approval from lawmakers.

On July 14, the US Treasury announced measures to increase pressure on Iran's sanctions evading network, particularly targeting Mohammad Hossein Shamkhani, identified as a major force behind Iran's oil exports. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent declared the sanctions are part of ongoing efforts to ramp up economic pressure on Iran after it resumed destabilizing attacks in the Strait of Hormuz.

The UN high commissioner for human rights, Volker Turk, expressed concern over the return to hostilities, highlighting the grave risks for civilians and the undermining of peace efforts in the region. The conflict has disrupted international shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, providing Iran with leverage over its Gulf neighbors and the global economy.

As tensions escalate, Iran's new Supreme Leader, Mojtaba Khamenei, vowed revenge for the death of his father and predecessor, Ali Khamenei, who was killed in US and Israeli air strikes as the war broke out. Mojtaba Khamenei emphasized that retaliation would occur regardless of the presence of current officials. In response, Trump cautioned that any assassination attempt against him would lead to overwhelming US military retaliation.